Saturday, April 9, 2016

Celebrating Failure

1.) A friend of mine asked me to help them edit a video. They asked me to take 45 minutes of footage that they had and cut it down into 2 minutes so they could use it for a presentation. I had a lot of late nights trying to make a video that worked, but with each new version of it I always say something wrong with it. There were simple things like awkward transitions, bad audio, the green screen was noticeable, and then there were more complex things, like the video didn't have any flow or was too all over the place. After weeks of working on it, I finally got it done. My friend was satisfied with it but after all the work I still wasn't happy with it.

2.) From this, I learned that things are never perfect. I spent so much time trying to make every detail in the video work, even though they never could be. Also, as long as a customer is happy you should consider something a success.

3.) I think in whatever we want do in life, we must experience failure in order for us to succeed. Experiencing failure makes us better at things. We become better prepared to tackle the challenge. The way I handle failure is accessing whatever I do wrong and trying to figure out why it happened and how I can make sure it doesn't happen again. Emotionally, I just let it eat away at me. With this class, I've become more likely to take risks. Looking back at the interview assignments, I was afraid of failing but after going through with them, even when they went bad, I feel better prepared for doing something like it again.


3 comments:

  1. Hey Jason,
    The interviews were also a big point of stress for me. On the one hand, I hated doing them, I always felt like I was bothering people and I strongly disliked those initial few seconds where I was waiting for reply to my question; and on the other hand, it was just simply difficult to do. Especially when your interviewee base really wanted nothing to do with you. Regardless though, I think the exercise, like you point out, was really good for me as a person, for growth reasons. I agree with your other point regarding failure: I also think it's really critical and in many ways, pivotal, for a person to experience failure in a really meaningful way. I think it's good for the soul, and it helps put things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jason, I know exactly what you have been through because lets be Honest every single one of us fail sometimes I mean in my case its most of the time. But hey its failing that we are able to learn valuable lessons in life. Mainly I think we just search for the better version of ourselves. My dad has always said that you have to always keep learning and never stop growing.
    Being a perfectionist doest help either and that seems to be your case, I am more of the lets get this thing done kind of person but hey I am glad we have people like you around.
    feel free to checkout how I have failed :
    http://vifrasier.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure-week-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jason, I like your story, it shows that we can often experience failure to some degree, even with things that we're good at. It's also good that you were critical of your own work, even though your friend was satisfied with it and it was probably a very good video edit. This mentality shows that you're always striving for the best and that you're your own worst critic, which are great attributes for an entrepreneur to have. Keep going with your video editing, and I'm sure that you will be able to become an expert fairly quickly. Here's a link to my blog post so that you can check out my own experiences with failure.
    http://camcoop8.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete